History of the Hotel Mühlhäuser HofThe listed property Steinweg 65/Breitenstraße 1 was only converted into a hotel in 2005. Owners of the property have been since 1524
Proven. Old barrel vaulted cellars below are even dated to the 13th century. There was also a stone ground floor even then.
At first, gerbers were probably located there; running water was already present in the form of artificial channels (discovered in 1983); an open canal crossed the stone path.
After the “Great Fire” in 1689, which destroyed the building – like almost half of the city – a so-called farmer’s house was built with old foundations and Gothic components (the neighbouring monastery? see court facade), now in the style of the “German Baroque”. The owner was granted the right to brew, which was used until the First World War.
A completely closed four-sided courtyard was built around 1800 due to additions and conversions; the large hall, which had served as a workshop in the farmer’s house,
was subdivided and a “Comptoir” ( 1st window to the right of the entrance door) installed. After further changes to the main and outbuildings, a restaurant was established in 1898, which in 1925 received a high-quality Art Nouveau facility.
In 1983, further reconstructions led to the loss of a side building with arcades and a medieval vaulted cellar.
Worth mentioning is the “oldest hand-carved wooden door of Mühlhausen” from 1798 and a faded inscription in the originally certainly truss-sighted gable of the upper floor, which was heavily altered when the restaurant was installed:
„Anno Domini 1689.
Andere bauten für uns /
und wir bauen der Nachwelt“